Calgary, AB (February 9, 2018) In a series of insightful descriptions, Contact North | Contact Nord Research Associate Rory McGreal highlights the expanding and diverse applications of OER in post-secondary institutions around the world.
The thirteen examples provide insights into multiple facets of OER development, use and impact:
- Use of OER for teaching and learning;
- Integration of OER into programs and courses;
- Development of OER by individual faculty, as well as teams;
- Adaption of OER to match culture, language, and course content requirements;
- Strategies to involve faculty in the development and use of OER;
- Benefits of OER for student learning and faculty effectiveness; and
- Organizational change resulting from the integration of OER.
The descriptions outline the organizational contexts that motivated the introduction of OER into teaching and learning, as well as details of the policies, practices, development processes, and resources involved. Benefits and challenges for faculty, students and, in some examples, institutions receive particular attention, followed by consideration of the potential of OER in each academic situation.
Contacts are provided for each description and links to further information.
Click on the links below to read the descriptions.
- A Flexible OER Implementation Using a Commercial Application at Athabasca University, Alberta, Canada
- A Mathematics OER Implementation at Scottsdale Community College, Arizona, USA
- An Institutional Approach to OER implementation at the University of South Africa (UNISA)
- An OER Implementation in Maskwacis Cultural College, an Indigenous College in Alberta, Canada
- Implementing OER in the Z-Degree Program at Tidewater Community College, Virginia, USA
- OER and MOOCs at the National Open University of Nigeria
- OER Implementation in the Federal University of Paraná, Curitiba, Brazil
- Open Educational Resources at Notre Dame University, Louaize, Lebanon
- Open Educational Resources at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- Open Educational Resources: The Experience of the Wawasan Open University, Penang, Malaysia
- The California Open Online Library for Education (COOL4Ed) at California State University, California Community Colleges and the University of California
- The Implementation of Open Educational Resources at Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- The Project Kaleidoscope Open Course Initiative at Mercy College, New York, USA